Facility Rules and Policies
The staff at Aroostook National Wildlife Refuge strives to maintain the US Fish and Wildlife Service’s mission to conserve, protect and enhance wildlife, and their habitats. It is the visitor’s responsibility to ensure that wildlife has a place to grow and survive for future generations by respecting and obeying refuge regulations. In all cases, public access, use, or recreational activities not specifically permitted are prohibited. All visitors to Aroostook NWR are expected to comply with local, state, and federal laws as with the following activities:
- Hunting and fishing is not permitted on the Refuge.
- Pets must be kept on a leash and under control at all times.
- Use of motorized vehicles is permitted only on the Auto Tour Route. The refuge speed limit is 20 mph unless otherwise posted.
- ATV’s, off-road vehicles, and snowmobiles are not allowed on the refuge. Motorized vehicles disturb wildlife, cause erosion, disturb other refuge visitors, and shatter the tranquility of the refuge.
- All plants and animals (living or dead), parts thereof, and other objects of nature are protected from disturbance. These may not be disturbed, introduced or removed.
- Please do not litter. Take trash with you and dispose of it properly.
- Camping, open fires and overnight parking is prohibited.
Please contact the refuge headquarters for a current list of permitted activities..