Facility Rules and Policies
Know before you go. Please review refuge rules and policies. These regulations are put in place to ensure a quality and safe experience for everyone, but also to protect the wildlife and habitat.
- Daytime use only (30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset)
- Dogs allowed on a leash
- Concealed carry permits are not valid in Federal buildings
- Use or possession of alcoholic beverages
- Camping, overnight parking
- Open campfires
- Fireworks and all other unlicensed or non-permitted weapons
- Target practice
- Construction of permanent blinds or damage of trees
- Use of horses
- Motorized or non-motorized power boats, rafts and other watercraft are prohibited in refuge pools and managed units, with the exception of non-motorized boats used for waterfowl hunting in Bluff Pool
- Spot-lighting for wildlife
- Baiting for wildlife
- Blocking access to gates with vehicles
- Use of toxic shot when hunting migratory waterfowl, upland game species or turkey
- Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems/drones
- Snowmobiles, ATVs and other utility, all-terrain or unlicensed vehicles are prohibited except by disabled hunters possessing a special refuge hunt permit
- Introduction, collection or destruction of plant and animal life
- Collecting shed antlers
- Collecting wildlife
Not all areas of the refuge are open for hunting. Please refer to the hunting map and refuge specific regulations.
Fishing is permitted in pools and ditches adjacent to the auto tour in accordance with State of Missouri fishing regulations and may only be taken with hand-held pole and line or rod and reel. Snagging for rough or non-game fish is available as conditions permit.