Facility Rules and Policies
There are lots of fun, interesting, and educational things you can do on the refuge. Keep in mind, if an activity is not wildlife related and doesn’t help in the protection or understanding of wildlife or their habitat, there are probably refuge rules governing this activity. Please check with the refuge management before participating in an activity that could harm the environment or yourself. There are plenty of activities on Ankeny for you to enjoy. Be safe and have fun!
The refuge rules make you a wonderful visitor to wildlife's home and enable you to have some incredible wildlife interactions.
- For pet and wildlife safety, dogs and other domestic animals are not permitted outside of vehicles anywhere on the refuge. Pets are best left at home.
Vehicles and Bicycles:
- Motor vehicles and bicycles are permitted only on the roads open to public vehicle access.
- Bicycling is prohibited on all trails.
- Please park only in designated areas
- Travel on closed roads or going around gates is prohibited
- All government property, including natural, historic, and archaeological features, are protected by Federal law.
- Searching for or removal of objects of antiquity, plants, animals, animal nests, rocks, antlers, bones, skulls, or other objects is prohibited.
- Please do not pick flowers or other vegetation so that future visitors will enjoy them as you have. Picking berries and mushrooms is also prohibited.
- Cutting, removing, or damaging any tree or other vegetation, standing or down, live or dead is prohibited.
- Firearms and other weapons are prohibited except as authorized by state law. Firearms are not allowed inside Federal Buildings. Consult the refuge office for further information.
- Drones are not permitted for use on the Refuge
- Fires are prohibited
- Jogging is prohibited
- Camping is prohibited
- Horseback riding, ATV or ORV use, and cross-country skiing are not allowed on the Refuge.
Activities not described in this section OR the activities section(s) are prohibited on the Refuge. To inquire about regulations or Refuge operations, contact the Refuge staff.