Digital CBRS Boundaries
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) has geospatial Coastal Barrier Resources System (CBRS) boundary data available in a variety of formats (see Accessing CBRS Maps and Digital Data fact sheet). These data are representations of the CBRS boundaries shown on the official CBRS maps referenced in 16 U.S.C. 3503(a). In general, these digital boundaries can be considered accurate to within approximately 20 feet of the actual CBRS boundaries as shown on the official maps. Before using the data, please read the metadata for additional information.
Additionally, because CBRS units extend seaward out to either the 20- or 30-foot bathymetric contour (depending on the location of the unit), the true seaward extent of the units is not shown. The Service is not responsible for any misuse or misinterpretation of this digital data set, including use of the data to determine eligibility for Federal funding or financial assistance. For information on obtaining an official determination of whether or not an area or specific property is located within the CBRS, please visit the CBRS Documentation web page. For information on project consultations, please visit the Consultations web page.
The CBRS data are available for download as three separate shapefiles; compressed by using the .zip format. You can view the shapefiles by using ESRI's free software, among others. Information about what is contained in each shapefile and how to use it is available in the table below. The Extensible Markup Language (XML) metadata for the shapefiles are included in the zip file and are also available here: https://www.fws.gov/cbra/Metadata.html. Shapefile users are encouraged to subscribe to the CBRA Listserv to receive notifications when boundary changes are made.
Note: Please read the User Guide (PDF) for CBRS Data prior to using the data
Web Map Service (WMS)
Geospatial CBRS Data is available through an Open GIS Consortium (OGC) Web Map Service (WMS)
- WMS service name: CBRAMapper/GeoCBRA
- Projection: GCS, NAD83
- OGC Version: 1.3.0
- CBRS Data WMS Address:
Connecting to the CBRS WMS in ESRI's ArcGIS
- Launch ArcCatalog.
- Under the “GIS Servers” directory in the explorer window on the left, double click on “Add WMS Server” to open the Add WMS Server dialog box.
- Enter the following WMS address in the URL text box:
- Click on the “Get Layers” button to view the service and layer information.
- Click on the “OK” button to add the connection and view it in ArcCatalog. You will see the connection show up under “GIS Servers”
- This WMS connection will now also be available in ArcMap under “GIS Servers” after you select “add data”.
ArcGIS Representational State Transfer (REST) Service