2022-2023 Hunt Season Information
Upland Game Hunting 2022-2023
We allow hunting of the following species during State seasons as further defined below. Consult State regulations.
Upland Game hunters are allowed on designated areas of the refuge within:
- Assateague Island, VA
White-tailed Deer, Sika, Coyote
October 1, 2022–January 7, 2023
Raccoon and Opossum
October 15, 2022–January 7, 2023
November 1, 2022–January 7, 2023
Hunting is prohibited on Sundays and November 24–27, 2022
You may access the refuge from two hours before sunrise until two hours after sunset. Refuge main gate opens at 5:00 am.Legal hunting hours are in accordance with state law. Night hunting is prohibited.
Method of Take
Firearms and/or muzzleloaders are prohibited in the Archery Only zone. In addition, we limit hunting
weapons for all species in the Northern Hunt Zone to the weapons allowed for the State deer season in effect.
According to State law with the exception of Sika: Hunters may take up to five sika daily, two of which may be antlered.
We allow hunting of only the above listed species in designated areas of the refuge in accordance with State law subject to the following federal regulations:
- All occupants of a vehicle or hunt party must possess a refuge hunt permit and be actively engaged in hunting.
- A person possessing a valid state-issued Commonwealth of Virginia Disabled Resident Lifetime License or Commonwealth of Virginia Resident Disabled Veteran’s Lifetime License, may have a non-hunting assistant with them.
- You must park your vehicle in designated areas; park off the roadway; do not block roads or trails. Do not operate vehicles past posted closures (see map).
- You must sign in at the self-check station prior to entering your hunt zone and sign out upon exiting your hunt zone. All hunters must sign out no later than 2 hours after the end of legal shooting hours.
- Areas of the refuge may be closed for management purposes, or other hazardous conditions that pose a threat to human health and safety. Such closures will be posted at the self-check station.
- We allow the use of portable tree stands, but you must remove stands at the end of each day’s hunt. Tree stands attached by nails, wire, screws or in any other damaging way are prohibited.
- Virginia Deer Population Reduction Program (DPOP) tags are provided at the self-check station and must be USED ONLY FOR SIKA taken on the refuge.
- We prohibit organized deer drives. We define a “deer drive” as an organized or planned effort to pursue, drive, chase, or otherwise frighten or cause deer to move in the direction of any person(s) who is part of the organized or planned hunt and known to be waiting for the deer.
- You may not hunt, discharge a weapon, or nock an arrow or crossbow bolt within 100 feet (30.5 m) of any building, road or trail, whether improved or unimproved.
- The Refuge encourages all hunters to use nontoxic ammunition for all game species.
- The use of ATVs, boats, saddled animals, game cameras, dogs, or the cutting of vegetation is prohibited.
- All harvested or wounded/not recovered animals must be reported daily at the self-check station. Follow the posted self-check procedures.
- You must remove your flagging and markers from the field at the end of each days hunt.
- Hunters are required to pay the refuge entrance fee. Federal Duck Stamps are accepted.
Toms Cove Hook
- Archery Only Zone
- Four-wheel drive vehicles are required to access this area.
- All oversand vehicles must carry a shovel, jack, tow rope or chain, a board or similar support for the jack, and a low pressure tire gauge.
- Use caution, beach is often inaccessible during high tides.
Migratory Game Bird Hunting 2022–2023
Migratory Game Bird hunters are allowed on designated areas of the refuge within:
- Wildcat Marsh
- Morris Island
- Assawoman Island
- Metompkin Island
We allow hunting of the following species during State seasons from September 16, 2022 through March 14, 2023. Consult State regulations for State seasons.
- September Teal
- Ducks (including sea ducks)
- Canada Goose
- Light Goose
- Atlantic Brant
You may access the refuge from two hours before sunrise until two hours after sunset. Legal hunting hours are in accordance with State law. Night hunting is prohibited.
In accordance with State law.
General Hunting Regulations
Permitted hunters may take migratory game birds in accordance with State regulations subject to the following conditions:
- All hunters must possess a refuge hunt permit and be actively engaged in hunting.
- You may only access hunting areas by boat.
- You may erect portable blinds and deploy decoys; however, you must remove the blinds and decoys at the end of each day’s hunt.
- We prohibit hunting from a permanent blind or pit blind.
- We allow the use of dogs for migratory game bird hunting.
- Questions? Contact Robert_Leffel@fws.gov or 757-710-5257.
- For specific Virginia state hunting regulations and licenses information please visit the Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources.
- Hunting opportunities are also available at Eastern Shore of Virginia, Wallops Island and Fisherman Island National Wildlife Refuges.