Social Media Best Practices
Once you have worked with your Social Media Manager to start your official page or account, use these resources to help take your social media outreach to the next level.
If you have questions, please get in touch with your Social Media Manager.
Creating Content and Writing for Social Media
Insights and Analytics
Improving the Accessibility of Social Media - Digital Gov
Follow these tips for proper alternate text - Penn State
Hatch Act guidance - Office of Special Counsel
Include holidays, seasons of wildlife and current events.
Photos & Multimedia
What is considered a USFWS photo?
A Service employee does not own the rights to an image, video or audio recording created under any of the following conditions.
- It was created as part of official or collateral duties.
- It was created during work hours.
- It was created using government equipment or supplies.
- It was created on Service property in a location not normally open or accessible to the general public.
- It was created under circumstances made available to the employee due to her/his employment with the Service, even if it was done on personal time.
- To learn more, read the directive (PDF)
How to take a good photo - wikiHow
- For for USFWS photos:
- For Creative Commons photos:
Photographer Name/Creative Commons. (include shortened Flickr URL)
- Learn more about photo captions and credits
Video and Photography Training