Other agency
permit links

The National Wildlife Refuge System has three different Special Use Permit (SUP) Application forms to enable the public to engage in activities on a national wildlife refuge. These forms have been approved by the Office of Management and Budget and are valid until June 30, 2017.
These forms are available here in a fillable format. You can also obtain these forms and more detailed instructions from the refuge’s administrative office where the activity would take place or on the refuge’s website. To find a refuge website or contact information go here.
It is possible for prospective permit holders to fill out the pertinent application, print it, sign it, and return it to the refuge for processing. The permit is not valid until approved and signed by a refuge official.

1. National Wildlife Refuge System Commercial Activities Special Use Application (FWS Form 3-1383-C) for:

  • Commercial activities such as guiding hunters, anglers or other outdoor users
  • Commercial filming (audio, video, and photographic products of a monetary value)
  • Agriculture (haying, grazing, crop planting, logging, and other agricultural products)
  • Cabins (see also the General Special Use Application and Permit described below)
  • Trapping

2. National Wildlife Refuge System Research and Monitoring Special Use Application (FWS Form 3-1383-R) for:

  • Research and monitoring activities by students, universities, or other non-FWS organizations

3. National Wildlife Refuge System General Activity Special Use Application (FWS Form 3-1383-G) for:

  • Woodcutting
  • Miscellaneous events (fishing tournaments, one-time events, other special events)
  • Cabins/subsistence cabins (depending on the information use requirement, you may need the commercial form)
  • Education activity
  • Other (any activity not mentioned above)

The above-referenced activities are not necessarily conducted on every refuge. Contact the refuge manager to inquire whether we consider the proposed use appropriate or compatible at the individual refuge.


Free Adobe Reader software required to open PDF and PDF-F files. PDF (PDF) files can only be printed and filled out manually. Fillable PDFs (PDF-F) allow fields to be filled in on the screen and printed. To save a filled-in form for later use, you need the full Adobe Acrobat Program.