The Little White River Recreation Area is part of the Lacreek NWR and is the only part of the Refuge that allows camping. Sites are first-come, first-serve and are primitive with vault toilets. The Little White River Reservoir offers fishing, boating and picnicking. Hunting is allowed nearby, so please be alert and aware of hunting seasons. Wearing orange is a plus!
No overnight parking is allowed on the Refuge except for Little White River Recreation Area.
The Little White River Recreation Area (LWRRA) offers opportunities to catch channel catfish, yellow perch, black crappie, walleye, largemouth bass, and northern pike.
- No overnight parking is allowed on the Refuge except for Little White River Recreation Area.
- The non-wildlife dependent activities of boating, picnicking, and camping are only allowed at the Little White River Recreation Area.
- Hiking is allowed in all areas open to the public.
- Wildlife observation and photography are encouraged.
- Please stay out of closed areas to minimize disturbance to plants and animals.
- Bicycling and horseback riding is allowed on signed Refuge public access routes open to motor vehicles.
- Fishing is allowed within designated areas of the Refuge in accordance with state regulations.
- Sport hunting is permitted on the Refuge in accordance with all state and federal regulations. Hunters should consult the South Dakota state hunting regulations. Special Refuge hunting regulations also apply.
- Firearms and other weapons are subject to state law. At all times, persons possessing, transporting, or carrying firearms on National Wildlife Refuge System lands must comply with all provisions of State and local law. Persons may only use (discharge) firearms in accordance with refuge regulations (50 CFR 27.42 and specific refuge regulations in 50 CFR Part 32), i.e., only during the lawful pursuit of game during legal seasons.
- Other prohibitions on the Refuge are dogs off-leash; off-road vehicles; alcoholic beverages; and collecting of plants, animals, minerals, antlers and artifacts.