South Florida Ecological Services Field Office
Southeast Region


Map of the Southeast Region Map of Kentucky Map of the Caribbean and Navassa Map of North Carolina Map of Tennessee Map of South Carolina Map of Arkansas Map of Louisiana Map of Mississippi Map of Alabama Map of Georgia Map of Florida
Frequently Asked Questions
Header Divider

General Questions

Q: Where do I go for hunting and fishing licenses?

A: The least expensive place to purchase a license is at your tax collectors office. The Indian River County Tax Collector main office is located at 1800 27th Street - Building B County Administration Complex, Vero Beach, FL 32960. For added convenience, many bait-and-tackle shops and sports retailers (e.g., Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Sports Authority) sell licenses, for a small additional fee. Federal migratory bird and conservation stamps (duck stamps) are also available at these locations. In Florida the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is responsible for hunting and fishing regulations and licenses you can visit their web site ( for more information.

Q: Where can I find a listing of laws related to the operations of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service?

A: Look on the Web at


Q: How do I get a job with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service?

A: For government-wide job vacancies, go to This will allow you to search for vacancies throughout the U.S. Government and throughout the nation. New vacancies appear periodically.

Q: How can I get information on wildlife species?

A: The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has individual fact sheets on many species. You can visit the web at or call 800-344-WILD to request publications.

Q: Where can I check to see if a specific area or point has listed species associated with it?

A: The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has recently created an online mapping tool where the user can create a polygon or search for a point within our area to see if any listed species occupy it. The program currently is restricted to giving results based on the species residing in the entire surrounding county of the polygon or point. The tool can also prepare PDF summaries of the results and link to the biological information on the species present. The link is: Service Area IPaC Mapper

Q: Where do I get information about invasive species?

A: Visit the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Invasive Species web page at or specific information.

Q: How do I get to your office?

A: Please follow this link to our 'About Us' page with directions and maps to the South Florida Ecological Services Office.

Q: How do I get to Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge

A: For directions to the Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge Click Here.

Q: What should I do if I see an injured animal in a public space or on my property?

A: Please contact the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's web page to Report Injured or Nuisance Wildlife.

For More Information:

Write to:

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
South Florida Ecological Services Office
1339 20th Street
Vero Beach, Florida 32960

Or call our office at 772-562-3909

Last updated: August 19, 2016
If you have questions or website feedback, please contact the website manager.