Oklahoma Ecological Services Field Office
Southwest Region

Environmental Contaminants

The mission of the Oklahoma Ecological Service Contaminants program is to conserve, protect, and enhance fish, wildlife and their habitats by identifying, preventing, and restoring the effects of contaminants through collaboration with other Federal, Tribal, State, and local agencies as well as our partners in the academia, industry and the public.

Spill Preparedness and Response

Environmental Contaminants biologists are trained to respond to oil spills, and other hazardous material spills, throughout Oklahoma. We work with tribes and state and federal agencies to keep oil away from areas where migratory birds, endangered species and other wildlife are located. Before a spill event happens, we prepare for spill responses by planning clean-up efforts with response agencies, oil companies, and local committees and to identify sensitive environments and discuss strategies for protecting and treating them during a spill.


Environmental Contaminants biologists, through the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS) Natural Resource Damage Assessment and Restoration (NRDAR) program, play a major role in restoring habitats and natural resources injured by the release oil spills or hazardous substances. We work with tribal, state and other federal natural resource agencies to plan and implement restoration activities to compensate for injury to fish, wildlife and their habitats from the releases. For more information at the national level, please visit the Department of Interior's NRDAR site here.

Reporting Oil and Chemical Spills

The National Response Center (NRC) is the sole federal point of contact for reporting oil and chemical spills. If you have a spill to report, please call the NRC at (800) 424-8802 or visit their site here.

At the state level, to report environmental contaminants problems in Oklahoma, such as NPDES permit exceedances or Clean Water Act violations, contact the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality at (800) 522-0206 or visit their web site here. For fish die-off complaints on public waters (e.g. streams and rivers), contact the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation at (405) 424-6062 or (405) 990-7029, or visit their web site here.

Please also visit the Oklahoma Corporate Commission's Feedback or Complaints page here regarding oil, gasoline, pipeline, and other contaminants issues.

More Information

For more information regarding oil spills, please visit the FWS's national oil spill site here. For a copy of the National Environmental Contaminants Program Strategic Plan 2007-2011, go here

For a copy of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's laws and regulations regarding oil spills, go here.

Additional Links

NRDAR Documents

Last updated: July 11, 2016
All images by FWS unless otherwise noted.