skip to content
Thousands of black birds and white birds litter a blue lake.
Information icon Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Refuge in North Carolina. Photo by Allie Stewart, USFWS.

Conservation in North Carolina

Threatened, endangered and at-risk species

        1. Articles

          To the sea

        2. Podcasts

          Bog turtles

        3. Podcasts


        4. Podcasts

          Duck stamp

        5. Podcasts


        6. Podcasts

          Red wolves

        7. Podcasts


        8. Podcasts


        9. Podcasts

          Box turtles

        10. Podcasts

          Bat blitz

        11. Podcasts


        12. Podcasts

          Fishing Day

        13. Podcasts

          Box turtles

        14. Podcasts


        15. Wildlife

          Brook trout

        16. Wildlife


        17. Wildlife


        18. Wildlife


        19. Wildlife

          Red wolf

        20. Wildlife

          Red wolf

        21. Wildlife


        22. Wildlife

          Swamp pink

        23. Wildlife

          Tundra swan

        24. Wildlife

          Wood duck

        Map of offices

        Frequently asked questions

        Where can I obtain information on endangered species?

        Check out our list of endangered species by county or visit our page on endangered and threatened species of North Carolina. Information can also be obtained by contacting our office, the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

        If there is an endangered species on my property, are there restrictions on what I can do?

        There may be. It is illegal to harm or harass an endangered species. Harm includes destroying or modifying habitat of the species. Continuing your normal activities is no problem. If you are planning construction work or other major changes, it is best to check with our office before proceeding. You will need a special permit from us and/or the state if your work will harm a federal- or state-protected species.

        Can I still grow pine trees for silvicultural purposes and help red-cockaded woodpeckers?

        Yes. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has been working with private landowners in the Southeast to provide guidance and management recommendations that allow silviculture (growing and cultivating trees) while conserving red-cockaded woodpeckers. Management work includes conducting certain forestry activities outside the bird’s breeding season, protecting the bird’s nesting tree cluster and using other forestry activities that benefit forestry production and the woodpecker, such as prescribed burning.

        Can I help in the recovery of endangered species, and if so, how?

        First, start out at home, by being a good land steward on your property. Landscape using only native plants; they benefit local wildlife and save you money because they require less care and maintenance. Also support community involvement in conservation of wetlands, bays, rivers, forests and coastal habitats. Avoid using fertilizers and pesticides in locations that can runoff to waterways or ditches. Maintain your septic system regularly. These areas provide habitat for wildlife species as well as enjoyable recreational opportunities, drinking water supplies and economic benefits, including tourism and some industry.

        Is there money available to help wildlife on my land?

        There are opportunities for cost-sharing partnerships through several federal programs. Assistance and information on these programs are available through the Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program.

        Can I, and how do I go about importing wildlife to the U.S.?

        Contact the Service’s Law Enforcement Division for referral to the proper authority in Atlanta or elsewhere.

        How do I get a fishing or hunting license in North Carolina?

        You may contact the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission.

        What do I do if I come across an injured animal?

        You may contact the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission.

        What do I do with an animal that is eating my garden?

        You may contact the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission.

        Do you have outreach opportunities available to come speak to my group?

        Yes, please contact us at (919) 856-4520 (ext.10)

        North CarolinaNC

        Contact Us:

        Looking for a media contact? Reach out to a regional spokesperson.

        Share this page

        Tweet this page on Twitter or follow @USFWSsoutheast

        Share this page on Facebook or follow USFWSsoutheast.


        Share this page on LinkedIn