skip to content
Five vultures on the bank of a lake.
Information icon Vultures. Faungg CC BY-ND 2.0


Information for Producers Experiencing Livestock Depredation by Vultures

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is actively cooperating with state and federal wildlife agencies and livestock producers to identify and implement workable solutions for vulture predation on newborn and adult livestock. The species involved is usually the Black Vulture. In the interim, we offer some immediate guidance below in directing producers to wildlife professionals who can assist in addressing problems or concerns involving depredating vultures or in obtaining a federal permit to “take” depredating vultures.

USDA Wildlife Services

USDA Wildlife Services is the first point of contact for producers needing assistance in obtaining a federal depredation permit to “take” vultures. If a depredation permit is recommended, USDA Wildlife Services will provide the producer with a depredation application or a website link to the application online. The agency also will complete a Wildlife Damage Report that must be submitted with the depredation application to the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

Please call 1-866-487-3297 if you have experienced depredation involving vultures or to learn more about non-lethal ways to address depredating vultures. This toll-free number will direct you to a local Wildlife Services contact regardless of which state you call from. You also may look up a Wildlife Services state office online.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is the federal agency responsible for issuing permits that authorize take of depredating vultures.

We coordinate closely with USDA Wildlife Services in expediting permit requests pertaining to vulture depredation on livestock. We usually process permit applications within 1-2 days of receipt and can email permits to applicants allowing permitting activities to be conducted immediately.

Because both Black and Turkey vultures are federally protected migratory birds, a federal authorization (permit) is necessary to legally “take” them. However, a permit is not necessary to “harass” or otherwise disperse or discourage vultures from using areas where they may be a potential threat to livestock.

If you have a question about obtaining a depredation permit in the Southeast, please contact U.S. Fish and Wildlife Staff:

Carmen Simonton, Chief, Southeast Migratory Bird Permit Office
404-679-7049 or

Michelle Outlaw, Permit Examiner, Southeast Migratory Bird Permit Office
404-679-7055 or

Laurel Barnhill, Chief, Southeast Migratory Bird Program
404-679-7188 or

Additional Resources

Contact Us:

Looking for a media contact? Reach out to a regional spokesperson.

Share this page

Tweet this page on Twitter or follow @USFWSsoutheast

Share this page on Facebook or follow USFWSsoutheast.


Share this page on LinkedIn