Sacramento Fish & Wildlife OfficeServing the people, conserving the fish, wildlife, and plants of California
Where Can Kids See Rare Species?
Places to see rare plants and animals in Northern California
National Wildlife Refuges
- Kern Refuge Complex
- Sacramento Refuge Complex | Geocaching.
- San Luis Refuge Complex
- S.F. Bay Refuge Complex
- Stone Lakes NWR
- Always check the website for the place you want to go. Many of these places are only open at certain times. The species you want to see may only be there or in bloom at a certain time of the year. They might only come out at certain times of day (or night).
- Just look and take pictures unless a docent, ranger or other official person says it's ok to touch a rare species. Use binoculars to see animals from a distance and not stress them.
- Don't feed wild animals unless an official person says it's ok.
- You will usually see and hear more animals if you are very quiet.
General Wildlife & Wildflower Sites
- Wildlife Viewing Areas
- SW Nature Weekends, California Wildlife Viewing
- Ukiah BLM wildlife viewing guide
- Goodwin Education Center, Carrizo Plain.
- Golden Gate National Recreation Area
Places to Go, Things to Do
- Pt. Reyes National Seashore
- Antioch Dunes National Wildlife Refuge
- Audubon Kern River Preserve
- San Bruno Mt. State Park
- Muir Beach
Wildflowers and Other Plants
Whale, Seal, Sea Lion and other Marine Species
- Año Nuevo State Nature Reserve
- CA whale watching
- Marin Co. whale, seal and sea lion watching
- Sonoma Coast State Park
- California Wildlife Viewing Guide (Wildlife Viewing Guide Series), Jeanne L. Clark, Falcon Press, 1996 (Excellent guide but some information may be out of date.)
- National Audubon Society First Field Guide series (Birds, Trees, Amphibians, Wildflowers, Mammals, Insects, Reptiles, Fishes, etc.)
- Peterson First Guide series (Birds, Insects, Trees, Butterflies, Caterpillars, Fishes, Reptiles & Amphibians, Wildflowers, Mammals, etc.)
Please read our children's privacy statement.
Last updated: December 1, 2017