Research Needs in Support of Recovery Plans

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service recognizes numerous research needs in its efforts to better help protected species survive and recover. Find out more about potential research projects (106 KB PDF) that may be appropriate for graduate student research work.

As called for by the federal Endangered Species Act of 1973, the Service is charged with promoting the survival and recovery of threatened and endangered species using the best available science.

There is an ongoing demand for rigorous scientific research into questions pertaining to species survival and recovery in order to develop best management practices. These in turn help the Service implement Recovery Plans for protected species.

This is a link to a list of research questions (106 KB PDF) of interest to the Service, organized by species. The list covers species and questions likely to appeal to graduate students looking for conservation research opportunities in California.

This is NOT a list of projects for which the Service will provide funding. Rather, it is a list of important, relevant research questions, the answers to which can directly inform management policies and contribute to recovery of threatened and endangered species. However, the Service's confirmation of the need for the information to aid the recovery of a sensitive species could be a persuasive point in applying for funding.

For each of the species listed, the Service is also interested in research about the following topics:

  • The effects of and/or response to climate change.
  • Studies that evaluate buffer widths and their efficacy.
  • The effects of habitat fragmentation on population viability.
  • General population modeling.
  • Studies of plant-pollinator dynamics for insect pollinated plant species.

Research involving threatened and endangered species may require a 10(a)1(A) recovery permit from the Service.

If any of these research questions appeal to you and your desire to contribute to conservation in a very real and meaningful way, please contact the Recovery Branch Chief in the Service's Sacramento Field Office at 916-414-6742 for further discussion of the research needs and of permitting requirements.