National Wildlife Refuge
|4567 Wildfowl Lane
Stevensville, MT 59870
Phone Number: 406-777-5552
|Visit the Refuge's Web Site:
|An oasis of glittering ponds and lush riparian habitat provide a fertile home for an abundance of wildlife.|
Continued . . . On September 9, 1805, the Corps of Discovery with Captain Meriwether Lewis and Williams Clark traveled through the valley looking for a western passage to the Pacific Ocean. The town of Stevensville, just south of the Refuge, was the site of St. Marys Mission, the first permanent Euro-American settlement in the state of Montana.
The introduction of agriculture came with Euro-American settlement. By the late 1800s, Euro-Americans flocked to the valley for farming, ranching, and logging. When the Refuge was established in 1963, the lands were purchased from dairy farmers using duck stamp revenues.
|- Back - |