Where can I buy a bison?

The Fish and Wildlife Service disposes of surplus range animals, including the American bison, by donation to public agencies, tax-supported or charitable institutions, or by sale on the open market. Most of these animals are sold on the open market either by live auction or slaughtered. State health regulations and Federal Government regulations must be met before buffalo are sold.

Four units of the National Wildlife Refuge System sell surplus range animals to the public during their late summer or early fall auctions. You may contact them directly at the addresses below for information on refuge sales.

Refuge Manager, Fort Niobrara National Wildlife Refuge, Hidden Timber Route, Box 67, Valentine, Nebraska 69201 Tel. (402) 376-3789.

Refuge Manager, Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, Route 1, Box 448, Indiahoma, Oklahoma 73552 Tel. (580) 429-3221.

Refuge Manager, National Bison Range, Moiese, Montana 59824 Tel. (406) 644-2211.

Refuge Manager, Sullys Hill National Game Preserve, Box 908, Devils Lake, North Dakota 58301 Tel. (701) 662-8612.

For information on the commercial production of bison (also called "buffalo"), you should contact the National Buffalo Association at the addresses listed below.

National Buffalo Association
4701 Marion, Suite 100
Denver, Colorado 80216-2140
Tel. 303-292-2833