How to Apply for a Special Use Permit

Engaging in some activities on refuge lands requires an approved Special Use Permit. These activities include, but are not limited to:   

  • Commercial activities such as:  Guiding fisherman or other outdoor uses; and photography & filming.
  • Research and monitoring activities by students, universities, or other non-USFWS organizations
  • Private land access
  • Oil and gas activities
  • Tournaments and other special events  

Contact the refuge manager at (337) 598-2216, to inquire whether we consider the proposed use appropriate or compatible.

Steps to apply:

1. Based on the proposed activity, complete one of the following applications:  

2. Either digitally sign and e-mail the application to or print, sign, return via email, fax (337-598-2492) or mail the application to:

                Permit Division Cameron Prairie NWR
                SWLA NWR Complex HQ
                1428 Hwy 27
                Bell City LA 70630

Applications should be submitted at least 30 days prior to the start date of any activity conducted under the permit.

Once submitted, a completed permit will be mailed to the applicant for signature.  Applicants must sign and return the permit to complete the process.

Anyone operating under the approved Special Use Permit must have a copy of the permit in their possession while conducting activities on the refuge.