The procedure for submitting applications is as follows:
Important - Hunters must possess a valid California Junior hunting license to participate in the hunt. Up to four hunters may apply together as a party.
1. Use standard postcards (3.5" x 5.5") or similar.
2. Type or print clearly.
3. List the name and mailing address for each person (up to 4) requesting permits. Zip codes must be correct.
4. Hunters must specify that the application is for the Junior Waterfowl Hunt.
5. A parent or legal guardian must sign for each applicant and provide phone contact information.
6. Hunters wishing to hunt on the Grandma Tract (maximum quota of 20 hunters) should indicate this preference by writing Grandma Tract on their application. Applicants interested in hunting the Grandma Tract are strongly advised to contact the Refuge regarding status of the hunt units, as they vary from year to year.
7. Mail postcards to: Steve Clay, Refuge Manager, Modoc NWR, PO Box 1610, Alturas, CA 96101. Only cards received by September 2, 2016 will be accepted.
Any person whose name appears on more than one application will be excluded from the drawing, as will applications which are late, illegible or incomplete.
- Complete regulations and permits (free of charge) will be mailed to the party leader for hunters that are successful in the drawing. Unsuccessful hunters will not be notified. No standby lists will be maintained and "no shows" will not be re-filled.
- All refuge hunting regulations remain unchanged.
- Junior hunters must be accompanied by a non-hunting adult (18 years or older) with no more that two junior hunters per adult.
Hunters may contact Steve Clay, Refuge Manager, at the address above or call 530.233.3572 for further information.
Follow Us Online
Great horned owls are a year round resident of Modoc NWR, and can often be seen perched in cottonwoods or enjoying the shade under large sage brush.