Hunting and Fishing at Flint Hills National Wildlife Refuge


Flint Hills National Wildlife Refuge offers several opportunities for the hunting enthusiast. Fishing is allowed in all Refuge waters, except in the closed areas.

Flint Hills National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) is a special place for wildlife and people.  As you hunt and fish, please observe the regulations to help you enjoy and protect rich diversity of habitats and wildlife found here.

The Refuge headquarters and visitor center is open from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays.

Hunting and fishing hours follow those set in the Kansas State hunting and fishing regulations.




Please consult the Flint Hills Refuge for details

Hunting Brochure-Permit

All Federal and State Hunting regulations apply.

Hunters must possess all applicable Federal and State License and stamps.

Refuge hunting areas are open to hunting of waterfowl, deer, turkey, and upland game birds with seasons set by the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Park, and Tourism.

Hunting coyotes and furbearers is prohibited.

Trapping is prohibited

Hunting areas north of the Neosho River are closed to all public entry from November 1 to March 1.  See Hunt brochure for details.

Shooting from or over roads and parking areas are prohibited.

It is illegal to retrieve game from areas closed to hunting.

Bow and arrow, shotguns, muzzleloader, and rimfire firearms are permitted for Refuge hunting.

All shotgun hunters must use non-toxic shot, except those used for deer hunting.

Baiting and hunting over bait are not allowed on Refuge lands.

Dogs must be under the owner's control at all times.  Dog may not be used for running or harassing wildlife.

 Duck Hunters 

Flint Hills National Wildlife Refuge has evaluated and modified its water management strategy to better provide for the needs of ducks throughout the fall, winter and spring. These changes are needed to better promote food production and utilization in our management units throughout the Refuge. You may see lower water levels than in the past in some units, depending upon the time of year, in order to better utilize the food reserves that have resulted from management efforts. You may also see some management units intentionally left dry throughout the year – this is a strategy to rejuvenate these units.

These efforts are intended to best provide for the life cycle needs of ducks and other migratory birds, while continuing to provide quality recreational opportunities.



All Refuge Water, except in closed areas, are open to sport fishing in accordance with Federal and State fishing regulations.

All statewide length and creel limits apply to Refuge Waters.

For information about specific hunting regulations, contact the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks, and Tourism (KDWPT) at 620-672-5911 (Pratt) or 620-342-0658 (Emporia).  Hunting licenses are not available at Flint Hills, but may be purchased from KDWPT offices or online from the KDWPT website.  All you need is a credit card and a printer.  For more information about how to get your license, go to the KDWPT website at  For deer hunting in the area (not on the Refuge), the KDWPT has a referral service.  Call them at 1-888-497-8661 to get information on local landowners who may allow deer hunting on their property.  All other hunting and fishing questions should be directed to 620-672-5911.