Stevens Village


Population: 78*, predominantly Koyukon Athabascans
Location: North bank of the Yukon River, 17 miles upriver from the Dalton Highway Bridge, 90 miles NW of Fairbanks

History: The original settlement, called Dinyea (meaning “mouth of the canyon”), was founded by three Athabascan Indian brothers from the Koyukon region: Old Jacob, Gochonayeeya, and Old Steven. The village was named for Old Steven when he was elected chief in 1902. During the gold rush, residents cut wood for mining operations and to fuel steamboats plying the Yukon River. A trading post was established in the early 1900s. The first school opened in 1907, a post office began operations in 1936, and scheduled air service was initiated in 1939. 

*According to the 2010 US Census