The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.  Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law.  Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activities to go forward. 

  • Permits

    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.  Permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered SpeciesLaw Enforcement, and Migratory Birds.

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits.  For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.

    If your activity requires a special use permit, please visit the National Wildlife Refuge System’s permits page and fill out the appropriate form for the type of permit you need. These forms may be filled out electronically and then printed, or printed and filled out by hand. Completed applications may be mailed to us, delivered in person at our office, or submitted by fax or email.

  • Permits for Commercial Activities

    Special Use Permits are required for anyone conducting commercial activities within Yukon Delta National Wildlife Refuge, including fish/hunt guiding, air taxi, flight seeing, motion picture filming, and other activities. Some permits for limited resources, such as guided float trips on rivers, are issued on a limited entry basis. Others, such as air taxi permits, are not limited at this time.

    Businesses and guides are responsible for obtaining and renewing permits.

    Visitors who hire commercial operators during their visits to Yukon Delta National Wildlife Refuge should be sure that the operators have current permits for the activities they are conducting.

  • Marine Mammal Parts Tagging

    The Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 requires that all marine mammal bony tissues be tagged by a representative of the U.S. government. Bony tissues of marine mammals include walrus tusks, marine mammal skulls, vertebrae, rib bones and other bony tissues. These regulations differ for Native Alaskans and non-Natives. Be sure to thoroughly understand the regulations that apply to you as an individual.  For more information visit the Marine Mammals Management Website.

    Staff at Yukon Delta National Wildlife Refuge are authorized to tag marine mammal parts. This tagging is free and is available at our office during regular office hours. We can also direct you to other authorized tagging personnel in or near your home community, where applicable


  • Native Corporation Land

    Permits for use of Native corporation lands may be obtained through the corporations. Be aware that permits are required for any use of Native corporation lands; these are not public lands. Refuge permits do not give permission to access private Native allotments. For more information please contact the refuge.