Rules and Regulations

National Wildlife Refuges are places where wildlife comes first. Although people are welcome, activities are regulated and monitored to ensure that impacts are minimal to the animals and plants that call the refuge "home."

All lands managed under T R Complex, including refuge road parking areas and boat ramps, are closed 1½ hours after sunset until 4 A.M., except for raccoon hunting. Yazoo NWR electronic gates are open 4 A.M. - 8 P.M.

Please view our current Refuge Public Use regulations brochure for complete regulations.

The following acts are prohibited:  

Operation of vehicles on “CLOSED” roads

All commercial activities, including guiding or participating in a paid guided hunt

Hunting in designated CLOSED or no hunting areas

The use of artificial light, including vehicle headlights, to locate or take any animal except as authorized for raccoon and frog hunting

Use or possession of toxic shot, including buckshot

Use or possession of climbing spikes or hunting from a tree which has metal objects driven or screwed into it

Use or possession of any drug or device for employing such drug for hunting

Use of plastic flagging tape or other trail marking devices

Use or possession of alcohol



Horses and mules

Organized drives for deer or hogs

Baiting, possession of bait and hunting over bait

Trail cameras

Field dressing (skinning or processing) within 300’ of any road, trail or parking lot


Destroying any tree or plant

Removal of any material, animal, plant or mineral unless otherwise stated  


Trapping Occurs at this Refuge


Trapping is a wildlife management tool used on some national wildlife refuges. Trapping may be used to protect endangered and threatened species or migratory birds or to control certain wildlife populations. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service also views trapping as a legitimate recreational and economic activity when there are harvestable surpluses of fur-bearing mammals. On this refuge trapping occurs only as a wildlife management tool and is prohibited by the public. Outside of Alaska, refuges that permit trapping as a recreational use may require trappers to obtain a refuge special use permit. Signs are posted on refuges where trapping occurs. Contact the refuge manager for specific regulations. Click here for more information.