Wolf Island NWR, which includes Egg Island and Little Egg Island, was established on April 3, 1930. Located at the mouth of the Altamaha River, the refuge provides critical sanctuary for rare migrating birds and nursery habitat for sea turtles. The refuge consists of a long narrow strip of oceanfront beach backed by a broad band of salt marsh. Over 75% of the refuge's 5,126 acres are saltwater marsh.
The refuge was designated a National Wilderness Area in 1975, therefore no public use facilities are planned on the refuge. Though the refuge's saltwaters are open to recreational activities like boating and fishing, the beach, marsh, and all other upland areas are closed to the public.
Wolf Island NWR is one of seven refuges administered by the Savannah Coastal Refuges Complex which is headquartered at the Savannah NWR Visitor Center located in Hardeeville, South Carolina. Direct management of the refuge is administered from Harris Neck NWR in Townsend, Georgia.