Wallkill River National Wildlife Refuge, established in 1990, is located along the Wallkill River in Sussex County, New Jersey and Orange County, New York. Public hunting is permitted on approximately 5,000 acres in New Jersey and 160 acres in New York during specific times of the year. The hunting program is administered by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service in cooperation with the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife and the NY Department of Environmental Conservation.
Hunting is a wildlife management tool used to control some animal populations and is also a Congressionally mandated priority public use. Please take time to become familiar with the following regulations and remember to purchase your refuge hunt permit prior to hunting or scouting!
*New Hunting Opportunities Added*
- New York refuge lands in Orange County off of Oil City Road bordering the Wallkill River (near Winding Waters Trailhead) will be open for deer, bear, turkey, small game (squirrel & rabbit only), and migratory bird.
- Small game (squirrel & rabbit only) and black bear hunting will be permitted on the New Jersey tracts in addition to the traditional deer, turkey, and migratory bird season.
- All changes are effective March 31, 2016. Special regulations apply; go to www.wallkillriverpermits.com for refuge hunting regulations.
Hunting Permit Information:
All hunters must obtain a refuge hunting permit prior to scouting and hunting. Refuge hunting permits are valid for both New Jersey and New York refuge tracts.
- Deer, wild turkey, small game (squirrel & rabbit only), and migratory birds - $30.00 each.
- Bear permit - $5.00.
- Combination permits include all game except for bear (sold separately). Valid April 1 through March 31. - $100.00
- Discounted permits are available for:
- Youth Hunters (16 years of age and under) – Free
- Access Pass Holders - $17.50 single permit; $52.50 combination permit
- Senior Pass Holders - $17.50 single permit; $52.50 combination permit
Permits are available for purchase starting April 1st of each year. Visit www.wallkillriverpermits.com to purchase your permit and review refuge specific hunting regulations. Hunters without internet access may apply via phone by contacting the sales vendor, Accela Corporation, directly (703-994-4194). Payment may also be made by check or money order mailed to Accela Corporation, P.O. Box 1092, McLean, Virginia 22101.
The refuge issues “Special Hunting Permits” for eligible physically challenged persons who need mobility assistance to hunt. For more information please visit the following link: Information for Hunters with Disabling Conditions.
Youth and Specialty Hunts
Guided hunts for novice youth and disabled persons are offered at Wallkill River NWR each year, free of charge. The refuge reserves a 160-acre parcel for these specialty hunts only. The goals of these hunts are to introduce youth to the tradition of hunting as well as give those with disabling conditions access to the outdoors and hunting again. Members of the National Wild Turkey Federation offer their knowledge and expertise as mentor-guides during hunts for deer in the fall and wild turkey in the spring. Newton High School’s Future Farmers of America provide free deer processing to participants who harvest an animal during the fall deer hunts.
Click on the links below to for more information on how to apply:
Mentored Youth Spring Turkey Hunt & Workshop: Details
Mentored Disabled Sportsmen Turkey Hunts: Details
Mentored Youth Deer Hunt & Workshop – 2016 Available August 2016
Mentored Disabled Sportsmen Deer Hunt – 2016 Info Available August 2016
Women in the Outdoors events are currently being planned for 2016. Tentative events include a Hunter Education Class followed by a Women’s Fall Deer Hunt. Please contact Chelsea DiAntonio at 973-702-7266 x 18 for more information.