Please contact the refuge for a special use permit.

  • Permits


    At the Vieques National Wildlife Refuge, Special Use Permits (SUP) are required, and must be obtained, in order to conduct different types of activities. The most common include:

    - Biological Research/Specimen Collection 

    - Commercial Filming or Photography

    - Commercial Tours or Activities 

    - Special Events 

    - Night Fishing

    - Grass cutting for feed

    - Land Crab Fishing

    If you are interested in conducting one of the above named activities on the refuge, we encourage you to contact refuge management in advance, to begin the SUP process. If you are not sure if the activity you would like to do requires a SUP, please contact refuge management for information. If you are found conducting an activity that requires a SUP without the appropriate permission you could be subject to legal action.

    If you need more information, please contact the refuge management at 787-741- 2138 from Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 3:30 pm. 


  • Passes

    A series of passes covers the entrance and standard amenity fees charged for using federal recreational lands – including national wildlife refuges.

    Existing Golden Eagle Passports and National Parks Passes with an expiration date will be honored until they expire. Paper versions of the Golden Age or Golden Access Passports should be exchanged for the new Senior or Access passes. However, plastic Golden Age or Access passes are valid for the pass holder's lifetime and do not need to be exchanged.

    The Senior and Access passes are good for the lifetime of the holder and make available (to the pass holder only) 50 percent discounts on some expanded amenity fees.

    For the first time, decals and hangtags are available: decals for those who park open-topped vehicles (like Jeeps) or motorcycles at unstaffed federal recreation sites, and hangtags for those who anticipate parking closed vehicles at unmanned facilities.

    Please visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for more information about passes.