Double Rainbow on Refuge

Activities outside of normal visitation generally require a special use permit authorized by the Refuge Manager.  If in doubt, give us a call and we can help you determine if a permit is needed. 

  • Permits

    Generally special use permits are required for activities that require special access, commercial operations, or research. Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife and habitats. In some cases there is a fee for obtaining a permit. Contact the Refuge Manager at 402-376-1889 for permit applications and information.

    Some examples of activities requiring special use permits are: 

    • commercial filming
    • guiding
    • wood cutting
    • research
    • handicap ATV permit for ice fishing
    • cattle grazing and haying
    • fishing tournaments
    • trapping
    • collecting plants, animals, or researching historical artifacts 

  • Passes

    Although visiting Valentine National Wildlife Refuge does not require a pass, we have provided the information here should you wish to visit another of our country's treasures in the National Wildlife Refuge system. 

    A series of passes covers the entrance and standard amenity fees charged for using federal recreational lands – including national wildlife refuges. 

    Existing Golden Eagle Passports and National Parks Passes with an expiration date will be honored until they expire. Paper versions of the Golden Age or Golden Access Passports should be exchanged for the new Senior or Access passes. However, plastic Golden Age or Access passes are valid for the pass holder's lifetime and do not need to be exchanged.

    The Senior and Access passes are good for the lifetime of the holder and make available (to the pass holder only) 50 percent discounts on some expanded amenity fees.

    For the first time, decals and hangtags are available: decals for those who park open-topped vehicles (like Jeeps) or motorcycles at unstaffed federal recreation sites, and hangtags for those who anticipate parking closed vehicles at unmanned facilities.

    Please visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for more information about passes.

    Passes are sold in Nebraska at Agate Fossil Beds National Monument - 308-668-2211; Homestead National Monument of America - 402-223-3514; Nebraska National Forest-Bessey District - 308-533-2257; Nebraska National Forest-Main Office - 308-432-0300; Nebraska National Forest-Pine Ridge District - 308-432-4475; and Scotts Bluff National Monument - 308-436-9700.