Moccasin snake / Tucker ©

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife laws and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.


Special Use Permits allow the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities and ensures that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. Additionally, some permits promote wildlife conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activities to go forward.

At Trinity River National Wildlife Refuge, wildlife comes first. For this reason, Special Use Permits (SUP) are required in order to conduct the following types of activities

  • Research and Monitoring  
  • Commercial Activities 
  • General Activities 
  • Hunting Activities  

If you would like to know more about activities that require a permit on Trinity River National Wildlife Refuge, please contact the refuge.

Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System web site for more information on Special Use Permits.  Additional information can be found at How to Obtain a Permit, FAQs/Facts or Application Forms.