Cutting Firewood
  • Special Use Permits

    Special use permits are issued for compatible secondary uses such as research, commercial still and video photography, wood cutting and other related activities. 

    Harvesting wild rice, collecting leeches and trapping are available by permit to White Earth Tribal members only.

    Contact the Refuge office at 218-847-2641 to learn more about obtaining these permits.


  • Passes

    Passes are not required at Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge, however the Senior and Access passes are available at the Visitor Center.

    A series of passes covers the entrance and standard amenity fees charged for using federal recreational lands – including national wildlife refuges.

    The Senior and Access passes are good for the lifetime of the holder and make available (to the pass holder only) 50 percent discounts on some expanded amenity fees.

    For the first time, decals and hangtags are available: decals for those who park open-topped vehicles (like Jeeps) or motorcycles at unstaffed federal recreation sites, and hangtags for those who anticipate parking closed vehicles at unmanned facilities.

    Please visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for more information about passes.