Permits and Passes

Annual Pass

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service honors the America the Beautiful Federal Land Recreational Passes for sites with visitor use fees and issues Special Use Permits for specific activities on refuge lands.

  • America the Beautiful - Passes

    Although Stone Lakes National Wildlife Refuge does not charge an entrance or program fees, many federal lands such as National Parks or other Refuges do charge a use fee.  If you are wanting to purchase a Federal pass to access other federal recreation areas, please visit: Federal Land Passes

    There are several different passes which cover the entrance and some standard amenity fees to federal recreational lands for five different agencies; US Fish and Wildlife Service, National Park Service, USDA Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Bureau of Reclamation.

    Annual Pass
    Valid for one full year from month of purchase (through last day of that month). Allows pass owner and accompanying passengers in a single, private, non-commercial vehicle to enter Federally operated recreation sites across the country. Covers the pass owner and three (3) accompanying adults age 16 and older at sites where per person entrance fees are charged.  

    Senior Pass
    Formerly the Golden Eagle Pass, this is a lifetime or annual pass that provides access to more than 2,000 recreation sites managed by five Federal agencies. You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident 62 years or older. (You must have turned 62 before you can buy the pass).

    Access Pass
    The Access Pass is a lifetime pass that may be issued to U.S. citizens or permanent residents of any age that have been medically determined to have a permanent disability that severely limits one or more major life activities.

    NOTE:  Stone Lakes NWR does not sell these passes. Please visit the Federal Land Passes website for more information on how to purchase a pass. Recreation Fees vary widely across the thousands of Federal Recreation sites. Please contact specific sites directly for information on what is or is not covered by the passes.

  • Special Use Permits

    Special Use Permits (SUP) enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities and ensures that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. The permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

    At Stone Lakes National Wildlife Refuge, wildlife comes first. For this reason, SUP's are required in order to conduct the following types of activities:

    •  Biological research
    •  Access to areas normally closed to the public
    •  Special events
    •  Commercial tours or activities
    •  Commercial photography or videography 

    If you are interested in conducting one of the above named activities on the refuge, we encourage you to contact refuge management at least one month in advance of your proposal to begin the SUP process.

    Additional permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered Species, Law Enforcement, and Migratory Birds.  For more information, visit the National Wildlife Refuge Systemwebsite for Special Use Permits. Thank you for helping us protect America's wildlife and wildlands.