Fees, Passes, and Permits

  • Fees

    Daily Pass - Cars and Motorcycles: $5
    Bicycles and Pedestrians: $1

    St. Marks NWR Annual Pass - $25 - Good only at St. Marks NWR

    Lighthouse Tour - $2/adult (12 and older)

    National Recreation passes:
    - National Park Annual Pass - $80
    - Senior Pass - (US Citizen or permanent resident, Age 62 and over). Annual pass: $20; Lifetime pass: $80.
    - Lifetime Access Pass - Free for US citizens medically determined to have a permanent disability
    - Military Annual Pass - Free to US active duty military members and their dependents

    Duck Stamp - $25 (Valid July 1 - June 30) - Good at all National Wildlife Refuges

  • Passes

    Entrance fees are required of all visitors traveling from the Visitor Center on Lighthouse Road through the refuge. Annual, daily and Federal Recreation Fee passes are available. A additional fee is required for lighthouse tours.

    Taylor County collects a user fee at the Aucilla River/Mandalay boat ramp. Federal recreation fees do not apply at this boat ramp. Call 850/838-3517 for annual pass and other fee information.

    A series of passes covers the entrance and standard amenity fees charged for using federal recreational lands – including national wildlife refuges.

    Existing Golden Eagle Passports and National Parks Passes with an expiration date will be honored until they expire. Paper versions of the Golden Age or Golden Access Passports should be exchanged for the new Senior or Access passes. However, plastic Golden Age or Access passes are valid for the pass holder's lifetime and do not need to be exchanged.

    The Senior and Access passes are good for the lifetime of the holder.

    Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamps, commonly known as “Duck Stamps,” are valid for refuge admission and are available for purchase ($25) in the Nature Store in the Visitor Center.

    St. Marks NWR sells an annual pass ($25) and other Federal Recreation fee passes that admit visitors to the St. Marks Unit including the Lighthouse Road saltwater boat ramp. NOTE: these passes do not qualify visitors to use the Aucilla River/Mandalay Boat Ramp.

    Please visit the National Wildlife Refuge System website for more information about Federal passes.

  • Permits

    Special Use Permits are required for research projects, requests to use refuge facilities for special functions and/or group activities. Camping permits are required for the Florida National Scenic Trail and the Florida Circumnavigational Saltwater Paddling Trail. Hunting permits are required for all hunting on the refuge.

    Florida National Scenic Trail - Trail and Camping Information, and Camping permits

    Outside of research projects, requests to use refuge facilities for special functions and/or group activities must be made in writing to the Refuge Manager at least 6 weeks in advance of the activity. Each request will be evaluated for compatibility with refuge objectives and, if approved, will be handled by a Special Use Permit. A fee may be applied for the special use permit issued.

    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country. Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law. Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

    Permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered Species, Law Enforcement, and Migratory Birds.

    Locally, individuals may apply for Special Use Permits from management for: special events, research, professional photography, etc. Contact the refuge office at 850/925-6121.

     Special Use Permit application forms have been revised and are available to the public on the Refuge System permits webpage.  These SUPs include:    

    • 3-1383-C: Commercial Special Use Permit Application
    • 3-1383-G: General Special Use Application
    • 3-1383-R: Research and Monitoring Special Use Permit Application


     For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a Permit, FAQs/Facts or Application Forms.