On National Wildlife Refuges wildlife comes first. Refuges are not managed for multiple uses like other public lands managed by the U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management.

A Special Use Permit is required for any commercial use and for any use or activity other than public hunting, fishing, wildlife observation, wildlife photography (except from March 1- June 1), environmental education, and interpretation which are the priority wildlife dependent uses compatible with the purposes for Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge. 

  • Wildlife Photography Permits

    Photo permits_promo list_150x118

    A special use permit is required for any commercial photography, filming, or audio/visual production. Applicants must fill out a Commercial Special Use Permit application and submit it to the Refuge Complex.

    To protect Greater sage-grouse during the breeding season we require all people obtain a refuge special use permit to photograph near sage grouse leks between March 1 and June 1.  If you would like to photograph sage grouse during these times of the year fill out the general special use permit and submit it to the Refuge Complex.

  • Outfitter and Guide Permits

    We allow a limited number of outfitters and guides to operate within the refuge and facilitate big-game hunting opportunities for people who lack the specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities for a truly safe, enjoyable and productive hunting experience. If you are interested in providing these commercial services within Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge fill out the Commercial Special Use Permit and submit it to the Refuge Complex. Applications for a commercial special use permit have no deadline, but require up to a 30 day processing time before a permit is issued. This is a change from the previous July 1 deadline.

  • Research, Scientific Collection, and Other Permits

    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service requires a research and monitoring special use permit for anyone conducting scientific research, studies, collection of plants or animals or other activities within the refuge. Other permits are required under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.  Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

    Other permits from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered SpeciesLaw Enforcement, and  Migratory Birds.

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits.

    For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.

  • Backcountry Camping Permits

    You can camp in the backcountry outside of designated sites with a Refuge Backcountry Use Permit. These permits enable us to make sure you have the information you need for a safe enjoyable trip.

    Getting a permit is free and easy! Just fill out the permit and send it to the Refuge Complex.