Refuge sign / USFWS

A Special Use Permit is required for most activities on the refuge other than public areas already open to wildlife observation, hunting, wildlife photography, environmental education and/or environmental interpretation.

Special Use Permits (SUPs)
Access to the refuge is limited as the purpose of the refuge is to protect, preserve, restore, and maintain natural ecological processes.  There are a few areas open to the public and all other access requires a Special Use Permit.

The Sevilleta National Wildlife Refuge issues SUPs for research and other activities:

Research SUP
Scientific research that is compatible with refuge goals and the refuge, may be permitted.

To apply for a Research Special Use Permit (SUP), please read the Sevilleta National Wildlife Refuge Research SUP Instructions and submit the attached Research and Monitoring SUP Permit Application. New applicants are required to discuss proposed research projects with the refuge before submitting an application. Applications are reviewed by a committee to determine if the research project is compatible with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service regulations and goals; compatible with Sevilleta National Wildlife Refuge regulations, goals, and management directives; and not a duplication of past or current research on the refuge. The deadlines for research permit applications are April 15 and November 15.

Contact: Nancy Spencer-Morris, Refuge Biologist
Sevilleta National Wildlife Refuge
P.O. Box 1248
Socorro, NM 87801

General SUP 
For all other access, please contact the refuge at (505) 864-4021. No commercial use is allowed on the refuge. 

Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System web site for more information on Special Use Permits

Additional information can be found at How to Obtain a Permit, FAQs/Facts, or Application Forms.