The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife laws and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.

  • Special Use Permits

    Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities and ensures that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

    At the Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge, wildlife comes first. For this reason, Special Use Permits (SUP) are required in order to conduct the following types of activities

    Biological Research

    Commercial Photography or Videography

    Commercial Tours or Activities

    Special Events

    Access to areas normally closed to the public


    If you are interested in conducting one of the above named activities on the refuge, we encourage you to contact refuge management at least one month in advance of your work to begin the SUP process. If you are found conducting an activity that requires a SUP without the appropriate permission you could be subject to legal action. 

    Thank you for helping us protect America's wildlife and wildlands.

    For more information, visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits. Or, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.