Greater earless lizard / C. Bartram, USFWS

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issue permits under various wildlife laws and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.

Special Use Permits
Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities and ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

At San Andres National Wildlife Refuge, wildlife comes first.  Access to the refuge is limited as the mission of the refuge is to protect, preserve, restore and maintain natural ecological processes.  For this reason, Special Use Permits (SUP) are required in order to conduct the following types of activities:


  • To apply, complete and submit a research permit application; contact the refuge. 
  • New applicants are encouraged to first discuss proposed research projects with the refuge before submitting an application.  
  • Applications are reviewed to determine if the research project is compatible with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service regulations and goals; compatible with San Andres National Wildlife Refuge regulations, goals, and management directives; and not a duplication of past or current research on the refuge.  

Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System web site for more information on Special Use Permits.
Additional information can be found at How to Obtain a Permit, FAQs/Facts or Application Forms.