Skip Navigation

Passes and Permits

Flock of waterfowl at Sutter NWR

No entrance passes are required at any of the Sacramento River NWR Units.

An entrance pass is required at the Sacramento NWR. Valid passes include refuge passes, current year Federal Duck Stamp, or an Interagency America the Beautiful Pass.

A special use permit is required for commercial photography use, scientific research, and access to closed areas.

Special licenses, validations & passes are required for hunting on Sacramento, Delevan, Colusa and Sutter NWRs - see below.

  • Refuge Passes

    Sacramento NWR collects a $6 day use fee to help pay for visitor facilities. Annual passes are $12. A commercial vehicle pass ($20) is required for buses and commercial vendors. These passes are available at the fee machine or the visitor center. Visit the link below to learn about all the passes available at Sacramento NWR.

    Learn More
  • Hunt Area Passes & Permits

    Hunting on Sacramento, Delevan, Colusa and Sutter NWRs required special licenses, validations & passes.  See the Hunt Area Permits, Regulations & Shoot Times page for more information.


    Learn More
  • Special Use Permits

    Special Use Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law. Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activities to be considered. 

    - Commercial filming (audio, video, photographic products of monetary value)

    - Commercial activities such as guiding hunters, anglers, or outdoor activities

    - Research and monitoring activities by students, universities, or other nonFWS organizations

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System website for Special Use Permit Applications. Special use permit applications will be evaluated by the refuge manager to determine whether or not they are compatible with the purposes of the refuge.

    For more information contact: or 530-934-2801 or fax 530-934-7814

Page Photo Credits — Photo by Mike Peters
Last Updated: Apr 20, 2016
Return to main navigation