Duck on the marsh

 The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.  Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law.  Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activites to go forward.

For information on activities that are not generally allowed on the refuge, but might be allowed under a permit, please contact us at 775-779-2237 or by email to  Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site to learn about the different types of Special Use Permits used on refuges and to obtain applications for these permits.

Several other permits are available for issues of a much larger scope than an individual refuge.  These permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered SpeciesLaw Enforcement, and  Migratory Birds.  For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.