About the Refuge
The mission of Roanoke River National Wildlife Refuge is to protect and conserve migratory birds and other wildlife resources through the protection of wetlands.
- Provide habitat for migratory waterfowl, neo-tropical migrants and other birds.
- Provide migrating, spawning and nursery habitat for anadromous fish; i.e. blueback herring, alewife, hickory shad and striped bass.
- Enhance and protect forested wetlands consisting of bottomland hardwoods and swamps.
- To protect and manage for endangered and threatened wildlife.
- Provide recreation and environmental education for the public
Page Photo Credits Roanoke from the air by FWS
Last Updated: Nov 29, 2014