Twin Moose 512

Many activities at Red Rock Lakes National Wildlife Refuge do not require a permit; however, certain activities, including these listed below do require a permit.

  • Special Big Game Hunt


    A Moratorium on Big Game Hunting Special Permit
    During the 2021 hunting season, the Refuge will not administer a special hunt in closed areas.  Elk numbers are currently within the landscape's carrying capacity.      



  • Hunting and Fishing

    Moose 150

    All Montana state hunting and fishing licenses and tags and laws apply on the refuge.

    No specific refuge permit other than the required state licenses and tags is required for hunting or fishing. 

    No special permits will be issued in 2021 to hunt big game in closed areas.  Herd numbers are within the refuge landscape's carrying capacity. 

    Use the link to view the hunting plan for the refuge.

    Learn More
  • Commercial Photography

    Bear 150

    Permits are required for commercial photography such as for magazine ads, TV commercials, movies, etc. This will ensure that refuge management will be aware of the activities and that wildlife and vegetation can be protected from excessive equipment or vehicles, noise, and disturbance. Contact the refuge manager for a permit.

  • Montana State

    Fisherman 150

    Click the link below for hunting and fishing regulations at the Montana State Fish, Wildlife and Parks website.

    Learn More
  • Other Permits

    Arctic Grayling 150

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits.

    For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.