Conducting research
  • Hunting Dog Retrieval

    Hunting dog retrieval permit applications are available beginning the first or second week of November. Application for this special use permit must be completed and returned to the administrative office for approval. Once approved, permittee may retrieve hunting dogs that have inadvertently entered the refuge after the dog owner has first notified refuge staff.

    Download the Special Use Permits Form (pdf - 328KB)

  • Research

    We encourage research and studies that assist in answering management questions to enhance wildlife and their habitats on Rappahannock River Valley National Wildlife Refuge. Research is usually conducted by universities, Federal, State, and local agencies, non-governmental agencies, and qualified members of the general public. Research is authorized via a Special Use Permit (SUP). To apply for a SUP, complete the application below. Priority will be given to studies applicable to management on or nearby the refuge. Proposals must demonstrate that the study will not have an adverse effect on wildlife or habitat. Feel free to contact the biology staff to discuss whether your project helps fill an information gap, and how it can be conducted to minimize impacts.

    Download the Research and Monitoring Special Use Permits Form (pdf - 508KB)

  • Commercial Filming

    Permits are required for all commercial videography, including filming of documentaries, travelogues, feature stories, and advertising. Liability insurance and bonding may be required depending on the specific production activities proposed. News gathering organizations are exempt from fee, insurance, and bonding requirements, but may require a Special Use Permit to ensure compatibility with refuge purposes, public use, ongoing research, or to protect refuge resources. Because of this, a meeting between refuge staff and the project lead is recommended. All requests must be received 2 weeks prior to the arrival date.

    Download the Commercial Activities Special Use Permits Form (pdf - 553KB)

  • Other Special Uses

    Other special use permits may be issued to individuals or organizations that request the use of facilities or resources beyond what is offered to the public. Each request is evaluated on a case by case basis to ascertain the proposals compatibility with the refuge’s mission.

    Download the Special Use Permits Form (pdf - 328KB)