Skip Navigation

Partners for Fish and Wildlife

Partners Logo 144x110

 Table of Contents 

  1. What is the Nebraska Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program? 
  2. What types of projects does the NE PFW Program assist with in the Rainwater Basin region? 
  3. What kind of assistance may be available? 
  4. Do I have to allow public access to my land?  
  5. How do I get assistance with a wildlife project on my property? 


What is the Nebraska Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program?

The Nebraska Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program (NE PFW Program) first began in 1989. Our mission is to conserve, protect, and enhance fish and wildlife and their habitats on private (non-federal) lands. Technical and financial assistance is provided to landowners who voluntarily restore wetlands and other fish and wildlife habitat on their land. The objective of the Nebraska PFW Program is to work cooperatively with landowners and other partners throughout the State to restore and maintain habitat for Federal trust species. Partners include landowners, other Federal agencies, State and local governments, conservation organizations, academic institutions, businesses, and private individuals.

Although our program covers the entire state, there are eight main focus areas where we conduct the majority of our work, including the Sandhills, the North Platte River, the Central Platte River, Eastern Tallgrass Prairie, the Loess Canyons, and the Rainwater Basins. 


Back to Top


What types of projects does the NE PFW Program assist with in the Rainwater Basin region?


The Nebraska Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program is primarily interested in the restoration or enhancement of naturally occurring Rainwater Basin wetlands for the benefit of migratory birds. Most of these wetlands range in size from one acre up to 40 acres. A few are larger than 1,000 acres. Rainwater Basin wetlands are characteristically shallow, with flat bottoms and gently sloping sides. Water depth in each wetland varies with the ideal level being eight inches or less. These wetlands fill with runoff from snowmelt, springtime rains, and intense summer storms. By mid- to late-summer, all but the largest wetlands were usually dry.  Smaller temporary and seasonal wetlands are usually dominated by annual moist soil plants while larger semi-permanent wetlands are filled with native plant life like bulrushes, pondweeds and smartweeds. To a landowner in south-central Nebraska, a Rainwater Basin is often referred to as a low spot in the field or an area with little economic value. When landowners can plant a crop, these crops frequently drown out. The NE PFW Program, in conjunction with their partners, focus on finding a win-win solution for both the landowner and wildlife by offering programs that provide landowners with alternatives to farming on areas not conducive to growing crops.

The Rainwater Basin Partners Program does not provide funding for stock or fish pond construction. We can provide technical assistance that can help you improve your existing pond for general wildlife use. If you already have a pond and are interested in stocking it with fish, contact the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.


Back to Top


What kind of assistance may be available?

Do you have an idea, but need a little help to make it work? We can provide informal advice on the design and location of potential projects, or we can assist with the design and funding of projects under a voluntary cooperative agreement with the landowner. Under a short-term conservation agreement, a landowner agrees to maintain the restoration project as specified in the agreement for 10 years. Our agreement is a Wildlife Extension Agreement, which outlines the work to be completed, the partners responsibilities, and the funding sources.

Back to Top   


Do I have to allow public access to my land?

No. You are not required to open up your land to the public. U.S. Fish and Wildlife employees may occasionally access the project area to check on its progress.

Back to Top  


How do I get assistance with a wildlife project on my property?

If you wish to speak with a private lands biologist regarding a potential wetland or other wildlife habitat project in the Rainwater Basin region, please contact:


 Laurel Badura                       Kenny Dinan 
 Wildlife Biologist    State Coordinator
 Cell: (308) 440-1388    
 Office: (308) 263-3000 ext. 107    (308) 382-6468 ext. 13

 Back to Top  


Last Updated: Mar 17, 2014
Return to main navigation