Refuge History


History of Patuxent: America's Conservation Research Story

 History of Patuxent - video, 27 minutes    

President Franklin D. Roosevelt established Patuxent Research Refuge as the nation's first wildlife research station through an Executive Order in 1936. The name for the research facility was later changed to Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, but the management of the lands and buildings remained as Patuxent Research Refuge. The research and wildlife conservation mission created in 1936 continues today with the close relationship and partnership between the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the U.S. Geological Survey.

 

65th Anniversary - Patuxent Wildlife Research Center

65th Anniversary - Patuxent Wildlife Research Center - PDF, 3.5 MB

 

50th Anniversary - Patuxent Wildlife Research Center

50th Anniversary - Patuxent Wildlife Research Center - PDF, 2 MB

 

Refuge Land used for Paratroop Training  

The Dean K. Phillips Memorial Drop Zone by Merle T. Cole  - PDF, 2 MB