Rough-legged hawk chicks in the nest / USFWS

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife laws and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.


Special Use Permits (SUPs) enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities and ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activities to go forward.

Optima National Wildlife Refuge issues SUPs on a case-by-case basis. Anyone interested in obtaining one should contact the refuge.

Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System web site for more information on Special Use Permits.