• Hunting


    Elk and bison hunting are permitted recreational activities on the refuge. Hunting supports management of wildlife populations. To learn more about obtaining a permit, hunting season, and regulations, please click here.

  • Fishing


    Fishing on Flat Creek is a challenging but popular angling experience in late summer. To learn more about fishing on the National Elk Refuge and obtaining a license, please click here.

  • Special Use Permits


    The National Elk Refuge issues permits for the following activities:

    Commercial Activities 

    Includes: photography, workshops, wildlife viewing tours, & commercial filming. Please read the commercially guided trips policy. Application Form

    Research and Monitoring

    Includes: biological work & geological monitoring. Application Form

    General Activities

    All other permits. Application Form

    A minimum of ten business days is required to request a permit.