Permits Moorman Overlook 512W

Refuge entry is free and requires no permit. Special Use Permits are required for research, commercial activities, and special events. 

  • Permits

    Mountain Longleaf NWR requires hunters to obtain a Choccolocco Wildlife Management Area permit and license. The free hunting permit can be printed from The hunting license can be purchased from

    Special Use Permits are issued on a case by case basis to help safeguard wildlife and refuge habitats. SUPs are needed for certain activities such as: biological research and ecotourism tours through the refuge. Permits are subject to review and approval by the refuge manager. Therefore if you are interested in conducting one of the above activities or another activity not normally allowed on the refuge, contact the refuge 30 days prior to your work or activity to begin the paperwork. If you would like to obtain a SUP or question if you need one, feel free to contact the refuge office by phone or email.
    Phone: 256-848-6833 - Email:

    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.  Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law.  Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

    Permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered SpeciesLaw Enforcement, and  Migratory Birds.

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits.

    For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.

  • Passes

    Entry to Mountain Longleaf National Wildlife Refuge does not require a pass.

    A series of passes covers the entrance and standard amenity fees charged for using federal recreational lands – including national wildlife refuges.

    Existing Golden Eagle Passports and National Parks Passes with an expiration date will be honored until they expire. Paper versions of the Golden Age or Golden Access Passports should be exchanged for the new Senior or Access passes. However, plastic Golden Age or Access passes are valid for the pass holder's lifetime and do not need to be exchanged.

    The Senior and Access passes are good for the lifetime of the holder and make available (to the pass holder only) 50 percent discounts on some expanded amenity fees.

    For the first time, decals and hangtags are available: decals for those who park open-topped vehicles (like Jeeps) or motorcycles at unstaffed federal recreation sites, and hangtags for those who anticipate parking closed vehicles at unmanned facilities.

    Please visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for more information about passes.