EntranceSign 512x383

  • USFWS Permits


    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.  Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law.  Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

    Permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered SpeciesLaw Enforcement, and  Migratory Birds.

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits.

    For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms

  • USFWS Passes


    A series of passes covers the entrance and standard amenity fees charged for using federal recreational lands – including national wildlife refuges.

    Existing Golden Eagle Passports and National Parks Passes with an expiration date will be honored until they expire. Paper versions of the Golden Age or Golden Access Passports should be exchanged for the new Senior or Access passes. However, plastic Golden Age or Access passes are valid for the pass holder's lifetime and do not need to be exchanged.

    The Senior and Access passes are good for the lifetime of the holder and make available (to the pass holder only) 50 percent discounts on some expanded amenity fees.

    For the first time, decals and hangtags are available: decals for those who park open-topped vehicles (like Jeeps) or motorcycles at unstaffed federal recreation sites, and hangtags for those who anticipate parking closed vehicles at unmanned facilities.

    Please visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for more information about passes.

  • Modoc NWR Permits and Passes



     Refuge Permits  

    Besides for hunting (below), there are no special permits required for entrance onto Modoc National Wildlife Refuge. Only portions of the refuge are accessible to the public, and even those have special limitations during certain times of the year. Have a look at our  visitors map, and don't hesitate to call us at (530) 233-3572 if you have further questions regarding accessibility.  

    Hunting Permits 

    Hunting the first weekend of the season will be by special permit only. Permits are issued prior to the season and after a random drawing of applications. After opening weekend, hunters are required to use the self check-in and check-out registration cards available at the information stations at the three designated parking lots in the hunt units.