Skip Navigation

Underground Shelter and Bunker

Underground Shelter

Admiral Chester Nimitz visited Midway on May 2, 1942, to present awards and for an informal inspection, including the bunker featured in the photo.

The bunker along the south shore is the only one remaining and over the years has been altered to its present condition. It now has a concrete front and the sand bags are no longer part of the structure. Photo credit U.S. Navy


On to Gun Emplacements
Back to Tour

Last Updated: Feb 10, 2016
Return to main navigation