Pronghorn antelope doe and fawn-Antilocapra americana/Leann Wilkins

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife laws and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.

Special Use Permits
Maxwell National Wildlife Refuge issues Special Use Permits (SUP) on a case-by-case basis.

The two basic types of SUPs are:

  • General Use
  • Research

Most commonly, these permits are issued for activities such as wood-cutting, entering closed areas, specimen collection, or other legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law.  These permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote wildlife conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activities to go forward.

Permits are also available through Regional or National offices, and handled by permitting programs in International Affairs, Endangered Species, Law Enforcement, and Migratory Birds.

Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Permits page for additional information on how to obtain a permit, FAQs/Facts, and application forms.