Permits and Passes

Lupines McDowell

Little Pend Oreille NWR does not require any permit, pass or fee for entrance or camping.

  • Refuge Permits

    Group hike

    The Little Pend Oreille requires a Special Use Permit for any activity on the Refuge involving groups of more than 25 persons or 10 horses.

    Firewood cutting for off Refuge use is allowed by permit only. Cutting is only allowed from July 15 through October 31 and a limited number of permits are issued.

  • Discover Pass

    Doscover Pass

    The Discover Pass is required to access state lands and water managed by Washington State Parks, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife and the Washington Department of Natural Resources. These lands include state parks, water access points, heritage sites, wildlife and natural areas, trails and trailheads.

    Little Pend Oreille National Wildlife Refuge is managed by the Federal Government and a Discover Pass is NOT required for access to the Refuge.

  • Permits

    FWS logo

    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.  Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law.  Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

    Permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered SpeciesLaw Enforcement, and Migratory Birds.

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits.

    For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.


  • Passes

    Senior pass

    A series of passes covers the entrance and standard amenity fees charged for using federal recreational lands – including national wildlife refuges.

    Existing Golden Eagle Passports and National Parks Passes with an expiration date will be honored until they expire. Paper versions of the Golden Age or Golden Access Passports should be exchanged for the new Senior or Access passes. However, plastic Golden Age or Access passes are valid for the pass holder's lifetime and do not need to be exchanged.

    The Senior and Access passes are good for the lifetime of the holder and make available (to the pass holder only) 50 percent discounts on some expanded amenity fees.

    For the first time, decals and hangtags are available: decals for those who park open-topped vehicles (like Jeeps) or motorcycles at unstaffed federal recreation sites, and hangtags for those who anticipate parking closed vehicles at unmanned facilities.

    Please visit the U.S. Department of the Interior Web site for more information about passes.


    These passes are not required to access the Little Pend Oreille National Wildlife Refuge.