Rules and Regulations

To report a wildlife violation call 1-844-NWR-TIPS (1-844-697-8477).  

Recreational Opportunities

Waterfowl Production Areas are open to wildlife-dependent recreation including hunting (deer, upland game and waterfowl), fishing, wildlife observation, wildlife photography, environmental education, interpretation, berry and mushroom and nut picking (for personal use only), hiking, snowshoeing, cross country skiing. 


General Regulations for Waterfowl Production Areas

  • No entry fees
  • Public use is prohibited from dusk to dawn, except for hunting in accordance with state laws
  • Dogs are welcome but must be leashed
  • Visitors are welcome to hike throughout the areas and are not required to stay on established roads and trails 
  • Please note that restrooms are not available on the areas

NOT PERMITTED: Motorized vehicles, gas and electric boat motors, bikes, horses, fires, camping, drones, commercial enterprises, target shooting, geocaching.


Hunting Regulations for Waterfowl Production Areas

Waterfowl Production Areas are open to hunting, fishing and trapping subject to all applicable federal and state laws, except where posted with "Closed to Public Hunting" *signs. In addition to the general regulations above: 

  • Placement of bait and hunting over bait is prohibited
  • Non-toxic shot is required for ALL hunting (does not apply to rifle bullets or shotgun slugs)
  • Blinds and tree stands must be removed daily. Damage to trees is prohibited, including cutting shooting lanes and the use of screw-in tree steps and stands
  • Possession or use of alcoholic beverages while hunting is prohibited
  • Shining or spotlighting wildlife is prohibited
* Not all Waterfowl Production Areas within Leopold Wetland Management District are open to hunting. The Blue Wing Waterfowl Production Area in Ozaukee County and Wilcox Waterfowl Production Area in Waushara County are both closed to hunting, and Lucas Waterfowl Production Area in Ozaukee County is inaccessible.


Additional Information  

Special-use permits may be issued for compatible secondary uses such as research and woodcutting upon approval of the Refuge Manager. Contact the District office at (608)742-7100 for application information.

See the Leopold Brochure for more information and directions or see Maps page.