• Permits

    Special-use permits may be issued for compatible secondary uses such as research and woodcutting. Contact Bruce Luebke, 608-742-7100, Ext. 16. 

  • Duck Stamps and Passes

    2016 Federal Duck Stamp


    What are Duck Stamps?

    Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamps, commonly known as “Duck Stamps,” are pictorial stamps produced by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. They are not valid for postage. Originally created in 1934 as federal licenses required for hunting migratory waterfowl, Federal Duck Stamps have a much larger purpose today. 


    Federal Duck Stamps are a vital tool for wetland conservation, including the purchase of land for the Leopold District's acquisition of Waterfowl Production Area lands. Ninety-eight cents out of every dollar generated by the sale of Federal Duck Stamps goes directly to purchase or lease wetland habitat for protection in the National Wildlife Refuge System.

    Since 1934, sales of Federal Duck Stamps have generated more than $750 million, which has been used to purchase or lease more than 6 million acres of wetlands habitat in the United States. These lands are protected in the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s National Wildlife Refuge System.


    America the Beautiful Federal Recreation Passes


    A series of passes covers the entrance and standard amenity fees charged for using federal recreational lands – including national wildlife refuges.

    There are no fees for Leopold District Waterfowl Production Areas or for Horicon National Wildlife Refuge.


    However, Horicon Refuge sells various passes. Contact the Refuge at 920-387-2658 or at: W4279 Headquarters Rd, Mayville, WI  53050.


    Please visit the National Wildlife Refuge System web site for more information about passes.